[Ham-80211] ham-80211 Digest, Vol 17, Issue 1

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Sun Nov 13 01:00:44 UTC 2005

That's mostly smoke and mirrors, most probably.  KA9Q has taken this
technology apart... several years ago... You just can't get that much
energy out of no power.  "TANSTAAFL" to quote Heinlein: There ain't no
such thing as a free lunch"

xG have been promoting this in some form for about 3 years.  It's
similar in nature to ultra-wideband.  They claim they'll just raise the
noise floor a little over a lot of spectrum... but their definition of a
little was enough to make NTIA and FCC tell 'em they had to avoid the
spectrum where GPS resides, or it'd be gone, and then restricted them to
2GHz total when they wanted, almost literally, DC to daylight.  With
xMax, they propose to use enough spectrum with itty bitty subchannels,
and we're not talking OFDM or "conventional" spreading, here, so that
their big center carrier is not noticed.  They offer the same hope as
uWB:  We really won't do much to your spectrum.  As no one has really
seen the technology in action save a bunch of tech journalists, do we
really have a good review of what's happening?

Skeptically yours, gerry