[Ham-80211] Re: Emergency Wireless Internet (Mark Miller)

Rich Garcia k4gps at bellsouth.net
Thu Oct 6 21:15:50 UTC 2005

I have been very disappointed in the Amateur Radio aspect of these past
hurricanes. Living in a hurricane area for several years now and having been
at ground zero for 2 of them last year I quite often get requests from the
media to speak about amateur radio during the season.

I think that during most normal hurricanes the normal flow of information is
quite shall I say "boring" and they are looking for something different. In
the case of Kat or Rita the news agencies had nothing but information and
MISINFORMATION flowing to them from everywhere and most of it was quite
shocking to say the least.

I have said it before and I will say it again the media is looking for that
shock factor whenever possible and they had plenty of stories to fill up the
broadcasts 24/7 for at least 3 weeks. For a couple of years back in the
early 90's I shot video for the NYC TV stations, I got paid based on what
was bought and aired. During the Gulf War I had a real hard time making any
cash, it had to involve multiple deaths to be able to beat the stories they
wanted to air.

Rich