[Ham-80211] Emergency Wireless Internet

Geoff Armstrong VA7CWD va7cwd at scanbc.com
Fri Oct 7 01:25:46 UTC 2005

Hello all,

I just wanted to add to the thread here.

A group of us from a couple clubs here in the Vancouver, Canada area have
created a group called British Columbia Wireless Amateur Radio Network (
BCWARN ). So far we have setup a permanent 6.5KM link between our mountain
top university hub and one of our EOC's. We have also done a number of test
paths from the hub to a number of distant locations including an island
70KM+ hopefully this will be the site for our wi-lan repeater. We will be
adding many permanent locations to the network as time rolls on.

We are using Wi-LAN VINE tower mountable 2.4 ghz 11MB 200mW radios. See here
for info on the radio and technology:

http://www.wi-lan.com/products/vip11024.htm
http://www.wi-lan.com/technology/vine.htm

The VINE radios we have been using have performed flawlessly. They are easy
to configure and align with the remote site. The audio alignment tool is a
really cool feature. With a special adaptor you connect to the bottom of the
radio you can plug in standard stereo headphones to get a tone (higher tone
= high rssi, lower tone = low rssi). If you telnet into the radio itself you
can actually get a spectrum analysis which lets you chose the best useable
least noisy 2.4ghz channel.

Here is a diagram of the current network setup.
http://www.bcwarn.net/diagrams/2005-08-24-wilan-network-diagram.jpg

We also threw together a little 5 minute video demonstrating the success we
had when testing out that 70KM+ path test from Mt Bruce on Salt Spring
Island, to our hub.

http://www.ambi.ca/video/bcwarn-mtbruce-v1.wmv

In the video you will see a clip of the terminal based admin panel of the
radio which allows you to perform various performance and administrative
adjustments to the box.

I gotta run,

73

Geoff VA7CWD