[Ham-80211] Emergency Wireless Internet

Timothy J. Salo salo at saloits.com
Fri Oct 7 15:29:47 UTC 2005

> Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 06:35:08 -0500
> From: Gerry Creager
> Subject: Re: [Ham-80211] Emergency Wireless Internet
>
> I know of at least one group in the Dallas, TX area doing this.  I think
> they're using Motorola hardware.  I've been told Motorola repeaters can
> be tuned/configured for ham use... but they're not cheap.  Or
> reasonable, for that matter, for my view of a ham repeater.

E.F. Johnson used to have a plant a couple of hours south of here,
so when I last thought of this, I looked at their prices.
I understand that E.F. Johnson Project 25 equipment is a lot less
expensive than Motorola and M/A-COM.  Of course, my strategy would
be to let the government pay.  Perhaps, include some Project 25
integration or tinkering in a research proposal and offer to
test the stuff on the air.  Obviously, the government hasn't
given me any money for Project 25 network [yet]...

-tjs