[Ham-80211] Re: Emergency Wireless Internet (Mark Miller)

kd4e kd4e at verizon.net
Sat Oct 8 14:28:56 UTC 2005

 > Alex Fraser wrote:
> We are wandering off topic.  It's not about me (I have a thick skin
> anyway), it is about ham emergency communications.  I think Ham Radios
> effectiveness in emergency situations is being hurt by close linking to
> the DHS.  I think the main advantage ham radio has is the off the wall,
> creative,  jury rigged,  lash up ability to get things done using  what
> ever they can get to do what ever they can.  Part 15 wireless shone
> through in N.O. because they weren't affiliated with  the Big
> Boondoggle.  The DHS would be hard to set up even if you had a capable
> administration. I live in the DC area so I keep my ear to the ground and
> listen a lot.  They really are  screwing things up big time. We hams
> should just do what we do best with out the huge bureaucracy and it's
> culture of restrictions and control.
> Hams could be so much more agile and the country would be much better
> served too.

The Feds are *very* concerned about control of
communications for security and predictability
reasons.

My friends with the local DMAT tell me that the
biggest challenge in Katrina was availability of
sufficient and proper gear, not the communications
system itself.

They have some training and staffing challenges in
the commo area for sure, but they are at least starting
to address it intentionally.

Ham creativity is nice but the Feds are unlikely to
build their Homeland Security communications infrastructure
around a shrinking, feuding, aging, unpredictable resource
like hobbyist Hams.

We need to focus on our relationships with the Red Cross,
Salvation Army, Southern Baptists, etc. who really could
benefit and who are not trapped in the bureaucratic mess
of Fed govt.

Meanwhile we agree that there are technological needs
that creative Hams and a more cooperative FCC need to
meet.

IMHO, YMMV ...

Thanks! & 73, doc kd4e
Echoes of Eden Blog: http://bibleseven.com/blog1/blog.html