[Ham-80211] Re: Emergency Wireless Internet

Brian Webster bwebster at wirelessmapping.com
Sun Oct 9 01:44:33 UTC 2005

Larry,
	I will echo your idea but take it one step further. We ally ourselves with
groups that could use our technical expertise to restore their own
communications systems and/or establish a suitable infrastructure to replace
what will not be repaired in the short term. This was the thought I had when
I went down to help the Wireless Internet teams that were featured in the NY
times/Associated press articles. I knew that the need for typical voice
traffic at whatever locations would be short lived and it would take me
longer to get there than they would need the help. Being there to help build
infrastructure to let them become self reliant was my goal and what worked
for the team I helped. For hams that want to help out longer term, than say
the first 3 to 5 days after an emergency, this is what the plan should be.
Take the time to bring things with you that can build something they can use
later on without the hams and their own personal gear. This is one of the
spirits of amateur "give the government a pool of trained communicators in a
time of need". If all we want to do is talk on HF and VHF nets and do
nothing else, we will lose a bunch more spectrum. Like it or not. When OTHER
(read - the pressure from the commercial wireless industry) groups can make
more use of spectrum and do it to benefit a larger segment of the
population, it is the governments duty to make it so. We are not entitled to
the spectrum if others can make better use of it for more people. I'm sure
that statement will start a flame war, but sometimes we need to look at the
reality from the other side of the fence.
	Hams would have been a huge help to the wireless internet service providers
I went down to help. These guys went in without any sponsorship (including
government) and decided they were just going to get it done and now. Hams
could have helped climb towers to align dishes on microwave paths, install
wireless radios at the agencies who needed the communications, set up the
computer networks/routers, install VOIP phone systems and any other
communications related tasks. These are all the technologies the pool of
current hams can deal with. The no-code tech license brought a lot of new
technical people in to the ranks that know how to make these things work. As
hams were are also trained how to do it under adverse conditions. The
dealing with adversity is what would help others get through the disaster
and make things happen. Something as simple as me rolling in with my own
camper with a hot shower was a huge help. As a ham I knew I wanted to show
up self contained. All the other folks there had no concept of this, but
they did have a willingness to do things and make a difference. We are
communicators, no matter how we get it done and with whatever technology and
frequencies should make no difference. Review your EMCOMM I manual, it
states this. We need to continue to think outside the box and make it happen
where others can't. When we stop doing that, ham radio dies and the spectrum
becomes more valuable to the people of America who own it, to do other
things.

Thank You,
Brian Webster N2KGC
Catskill District EC NY