[Ham-80211] Re: Emergency Wireless Internet (Mark Miller)

DuBose Walt Civ AETC CONS/LGCA Walt.DuBose at RANDOLPH.AF.MIL
Tue Oct 11 17:54:26 UTC 2005

The Red Cross has a nation wide freqency on the low VHF band, about 47 MHz,
but they don't know how to use the radios...I don't mean talk on them, but
how to use the asset to benefit their operation.

Also one thing that hams MUST learn is that disasters are generally
regionalized and thus in a small area of operation where if mobile or even
portable HF is required initially, you need to use a NVIS antenna...a mobile
whip or ground mounted vertical isn't a NVIS antenna.  A nice Inverted V on
40M with the feed point at 25-30 ft makes a great NVIS antenna, put a dual
band and 802.11b antenna on top of a mast supporting an Inverted V, and you
have the antenna for a perfect emergency communications setup.

Walt/K5YFW

PS, for those wondering, my TBMDR daily report that I send out is up to
250KB now.  Would like to send that on HF.

-----Original Message-----
From: ham-80211-bounces at lists.tapr.org
[mailto:ham-80211-bounces at lists.tapr.org]On Behalf Of Larry Cerney
Sent: Saturday, October 08, 2005 7:09 PM
To: 'TAPR Mailing List for Ham Radio Use of 802.11'
Subject: RE: [Ham-80211] Re: Emergency Wireless Internet (Mark Miller)

[Deleted]

I would suggest that the ORGANIZED Ham radio groups (ARES, RACES, Red Cross
and SA communications and others) start to move to staging areas outside the
effected areas, but with in a 8 hour drive, and contact the Section
Coordinator for the area and notify them of the assets they have available.
Use those assets outside the effected area to set up resource nets on HF and
stand by to move in early and keep an eye out behind you for Cell companies
and their herd of COWs!

 73...

Larry  K0ANI
Former East Slope of Colorado EC