[Ham-80211] Aerocomm Modems

Guillaume Filion gfk at logidac.com
Fri Oct 14 19:07:08 UTC 2005

Bill Diaz a écrit :
>>BTW, anyone remembers the tree attenuation per meter for 900 MHz?
>
> I have a number of Motorola Canopy 900 Mhz Access Points installed in my
> area.  While it may be possible to accept some losses from trees, the real
> issue is the "Noise Floor" on 900 Mhz in the area of operation.
>[...]
> If you are in a rural area with little 900Mhz activity, your results may
> vary considerably.  We have numerous high power paging transmitters in the
> area as well as trunking systems etc.  Some users in rural areas report
> reliable connections over 10 miles.

Actually, I am in a rural area -- there are maibe 10 houses between both
  sides of the link for a distance of 3 Km -- so hopefully it wouldn't
be too bad.

I must say that I'm quite surprised with your noise figures, we've been
using a 2.4 Km 900 MHz with 1.5 Mbps actual throughput in Quebec City
(pop. around 700K) with no problem beside ice in the winter. However, I
must say that Quebec City is not very dense.

 > However, based on my experience, I would STRONGLY recommend
horizontal > polarization regardless of location.

I was considering using yagis, I think that they are vertically
polarized, right? Can I put them at a 90 deg angle to get horizontal
polarization?

Thanks and 73,
--
Guillaume Filion, ing. jr