[Ham-80211] Which PDA to buy as a WiFi Finder?

American Common Defence Review 4donhamrick at gmail.com
Sun Aug 13 17:08:20 UTC 2006

From Don Hamrick/KI5SS,

Ok! I am a newbie with PDAs. Never owned one and didn't know much about
them. Now I am doing a fast study on PDAs to find out which PDA is best to
use as a WiFi Finder as its primary use and for other applications such as
Amateur Radio as cascading into its secondary use, if feasible. My marketing
research revealed the following products that fits the bill for what am
looking for.

I am a merchant seaman. I travel constantly. I want to use a PDA as a WiFi
Finder so that I don't have to pull out my laptop from its wheeled-bag every
time just to check for WiFi availability. It is easier to use a PDA for this
purpose.

*SDIO CARDS:*

*Socket Go Wi-Fi!™ P500 - 802.11g SDIO Wi-Fi Card*
http://www.socketcom.com/product/WL6010-676.asp

*Socket Go Wi-Fi!™ P300 - 802.11g SDIO Wi-Fi Card*
http://www.socketcom.com/product/WL6217-664.asp
**
*Linksys Wireless-G Compact Flash Card, WCF54G*
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1115416826419&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper

*WiFi Software*

*PocketWinc* (PDA WiFi Finder & Connectivity Software)
http://downloads.zdnet.com/download.aspx?&kw=pocketwinc&docid=206391

*Winc* (Laptop Wifi Finder & Connectivity Software)
http://downloads.zdnet.com/download.aspx?&kw=winc&docid=206392
I downloaded Winc and installed it. Instantly it became my default WiFi
Connect Utility over Windows barebones utility in the System Tray. I was
impressed with its intuitiveness and ease of use.

*PDA*

Looking for a PDA ($300 TO $600 price range) with 802.11g capability so that
I do not have to buy an SDIO card listed above since the majority of PDAs
have 802.11b.

*NEXT EDUCATIONAL PHASE: Amateur Radio and 802.11b/g Applications*
**
How is Amateur Radio applied to 802.11b or 802.11g services?

APRS? PACKET? Other?