[Ham-80211] Which PDA to buy as a WiFi Finder?

Rich Osman rich at osman.com
Sun Aug 13 17:26:37 UTC 2006

American Common Defence Review wrote:
> From Don Hamrick/KI5SS,
>
> Ok! I am a newbie with PDAs. Never owned one and didn't know much
> about them. Now I am doing a fast study on PDAs to find out which PDA
> is best to use as a WiFi Finder as its primary use and for other
> applications such as Amateur Radio as cascading into its secondary
> use, if feasible. My marketing research revealed the following
> products that fits the bill for what am looking for.
>
> I am a merchant seaman. I travel constantly. I want to use a PDA as a
> WiFi Finder so that I don't have to pull out my laptop from its
> wheeled-bag every time just to check for WiFi availability. It is
> easier to use a PDA for this purpose.

*Somebody, Dlink I think, makes a USB 2.0 wifi dongle that has an
internal battery and an LCD display.  It acts as a wifinder, lets you
select a network and test for a route to the net.  You can just plug it
in ready to go in your laptop.  Of course a PDA will let you pop mail
and other stuff, but it will be 2X the size of this gizzy.*

--
mailto:Rich at Osman.com  http://www.rich.osman.com
Rich Osman;  POB 93167; Southlake, TX 76092 (Near DFW Airport) ARS: N1OZ

If you receive something that says "Send this to everyone you know,"
      PLEASE pretend you don't know me.