[Ham-80211] Which PDA to buy as a WiFi Finder?

John Vause jdv at iglou.com
Mon Aug 14 18:22:54 UTC 2006

I use a Sharp Zaurus PDA (it runs a linux os) and Kismet when I go
"warwalking". In a pinch, it can take the place of my laptop.

If one of your ports of call is in Japan you should
have no problem locating one.

American Common Defence Review wrote:
>  From Don Hamrick/KI5SS,
>
> Ok! I am a newbie with PDAs. Never owned one and didn't know much about
> them. Now I am doing a fast study on PDAs to find out which PDA is best
> to use as a WiFi Finder as its primary use and for other applications
> such as Amateur Radio as cascading into its secondary use, if feasible.
> My marketing research revealed the following products that fits the bill
> for what am looking for.
>
> I am a merchant seaman. I travel constantly. I want to use a PDA as a
> WiFi Finder so that I don't have to pull out my laptop from its
> wheeled-bag every time just to check for WiFi availability. It is easier
> to use a PDA for this purpose.
>
> *SDIO CARDS:*
>
> *Socket Go Wi-Fi!™ P500 - 802.11g SDIO Wi-Fi Card*
> http://www.socketcom.com/product/WL6010-676.asp
>
> *Socket Go Wi-Fi!™ P300 - 802.11g SDIO Wi-Fi Card*
> http://www.socketcom.com/product/WL6217-664.asp
> **
> *Linksys Wireless-G Compact Flash Card, WCF54G*
> http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1115416826419&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper
> <http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1115416826419&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper>
>
> *WiFi Software*
>
> *PocketWinc* (PDA WiFi Finder & Connectivity Software)
> http://downloads.zdnet.com/download.aspx?&kw=pocketwinc&docid=206391
> <http://downloads.zdnet.com/download.aspx?&kw=pocketwinc&docid=206391>
>
> *Winc* (Laptop Wifi Finder & Connectivity Software)
> http://downloads.zdnet.com/download.aspx?&kw=winc&docid=206392
> <http://downloads.zdnet.com/download.aspx?&kw=winc&docid=206392>
> I downloaded Winc and installed it. Instantly it became my default WiFi
> Connect Utility over Windows barebones utility in the System Tray. I was
> impressed with its intuitiveness and ease of use.
>

> *PDA*
>
> Looking for a PDA ($300 TO $600 price range) with 802.11g capability so
> that I do not have to buy an SDIO card listed above since the majority
> of PDAs have 802.11b.
>
> *NEXT EDUCATIONAL PHASE: Amateur Radio and 802.11b/g Applications*
> **
> How is Amateur Radio applied to 802.11b or 802.11g services?
>
> APRS? PACKET? Other?

*   John Vause  jdv at iglou_dot_com                         *
*   NOTE: email address altered for benefit of Spambots   *
*   My favorite law: The Law of Unintended Consequences   *
*                                -- John Vause            *
*  "In certain public indecencies the difference          *
*   between a dog & a Frenchman is not perceptible."      *
*                                -- Mark Twain            *
*   Si vis pacem, para bellum - Cicero                    *