[Ham-80211] OT??? High power 2.4 GHz rules change

Brian Webster bwebster at wirelessmapping.com
Wed May 17 16:30:35 UTC 2006

Marlon,
	While it would be a good thing for the industry to oppose this to keep it
from possibly happening, in all practical senses there are gong to be very
few hams ever using this and it would be in limited areas. I have not heard
of any planned uses for the high power rules and no projects I am aware of
(been a ham for 17 years). One possible use may be in the same use WISP's do
but for emergency communications much like what we did with WISPA down in
Mississippi after Katrina. There would be the possibility for this use in
the Video uses of ham radio but that has very limited use around the US. If
you can get a hold of an ARRL repeater directory you might find listings for
ATV (amateur television) repeaters to see who has anything in the band where
there would be a more constant use. They may also want to use this for Space
communications. This would encompass satellite comms as well as moon bounce
experiments (yes they use the moon as a passive repeater). These would be
narrow band signals and pointed out in to space not terrestrial comms. This
could create problems for WISP's but on a very local area. I'm really not
sure why they are asking for this rule change other than hams are normally
more frugal than a WISP and they can get gear to operate in this band from
surplus sources but it does not meet the APC requirements. To use the gear
would require them to figure out a way to deal with that. That's costs time,
skill and money. Just my thoughts, I'm sure there will be people who
disagree with my opinions.

Thank You,
Brian Webster N2KGC
www.wirelessmapping.com <http://www.wirelessmapping.com>