[Ham-80211] OT??? High power 2.4 GHz rules change

Marlon K. Schafer (509) 982-2181 ooe at odessaoffice.com
Wed May 17 17:18:43 UTC 2006

Hi Roger,

Thanks for the thoughts!

Perhaps I should clarify a little bit.

First, as a board member of WISPA and as a WISP, it's my job to look out for
my industry.  Special interest or otherwise :-).  After all, my ability to
deliver broadband to the consumer via wireless is how I feed my family.
It's important to me.  What I'm not interested in doing while wearing that
hat is cause harm to the HAM community or develop enemies within it.  Hence
the questions about how our fighting this change would affect (or not) the
HAMs.

As for the greater public good.  Others have said that almost no HAMs are
using the technology/rules in question here.  However, there are a GREAT
number of WISPs, carriers, schools, home users, portable phones, baby
monitors etc. etc. etc. that do use the frequencies in question.  And many
of those users systems would be severely impacted if not taken completely
offline by high powered always on video systems.

I don't agree that the HAM community is likely to use this band as much as
everyone else already is.  The case can also be made that the current users
of the bands are doing a lot of experimenting as well.  Probably more so
because of the commercial component.

laters,
Marlon
64.146.146.12 (net meeting)