[Ham-80211] OT??? High power 2.4 GHz rules change

Marlon K. Schafer (509) 982-2181 ooe at odessaoffice.com
Wed May 17 17:36:12 UTC 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "doc" <kd4e at verizon.net>
<ham-80211 at lists.tapr.org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 17, 2006 11:04 AM
Subject: Re: [Ham-80211] OT??? High power 2.4 GHz rules change

> > jeff at aerodata.net wrote:
>> There currently are no APC limitations on ATV or space comms, unless they
>> use spread spectrum, which none to my knowledge currently use. This
>> proposal will not require them to use APC. Not disagreeing with your
>> opinions, just a point of fact.
>>
>> If the WISP's are truly interested in protecting their operations, they
>> need to make a proposal that all hams, including ATV and FM repeaters,
>> have to implement APC. Clearly if they take this white elephant on as is,
>> this will become clear.
>
> It would be interesting to assess the current
> level of Ham use of this spectrum.  I am guessing
> it is highly localized, specialized, and rare.
>
> The FCC is chartered to allocate spectrum and
> promulgate regulations that are in the best
> interest of the majority of citizens.
>
> Unless Hams can show evidence that the spectrum
> represents a value to emergency communications,
> technology experimentation, and hobby use we will
> see it follow the unfortunate path of 220.
>
> --
> Thanks! & 73, doc kd4e  http://bibleseven.com
> Ham Links: http://bibleseven.com/hl.html

I think that the great thing here is that no one is porposing that the HAMs
loose access to the band.  We'd like to see a lack of rules that put our
businesses at risk is all :-).

Lets not forget that HAMs can use the bands too.  In fact they get more
spectrum, more gear and cheaper toys by using the bands under the unlicensed
rules.

And use the band to connect to the internet and you'll not even have to wait
for the moon to come up to talk to the other side of the world!

Of course, there's no cool factor in that.  But hey, a guy can't have
everything!  grin

Just trying to keep this all in the proper context.....

laters,
marlon