[Ham-80211] Re: High power 2.4 GHz rules change

jeff at aerodata.net jeff at aerodata.net
Thu May 18 14:36:16 UTC 2006

> Jeff,
>     What rock have you been hiding under? The 420 to 450 mhz band is the
> second most used band in amateur radio. Get real.
>
> Al, K9SI

I am getting real. I stated that over the majority of the landmass of the
U.S., most of the time, the 440 band is as dead as a doornail. The fact
that is may be the second most used band does not invalidate what I said.

Look at it another way, you have a 30mhz wide band. Add up the bandwidth
of the repeaters (20khz) divided by their utilitzation. Then tell me how
much of the band is being used vs. just being warehoused. And do note,
most WISP's serve rural areas, so you really can't base your perception on
urban america.

In any case, I was just musing here. I would be against WISP's making a
land grab for 420-450 and I am sure they would loose, just as I am sure
they will loose the APC issue. But the difference is asking for 420-450
makes some sense from their perspective, where as the APC issue, in
reality, wouldn't buy them a thing except alot of ill-will from amateur
radio. Your going to take the gloves off, might as well make the prize
worthwhile.