[Ham-80211] Re: High power 2.4 GHz rules change

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Thu May 18 16:48:03 UTC 2006

jeff at aerodata.net wrote:
> Ahh.. careful use of words. "Populated areas". Does this mean you disagree
> with my statement that over the bulk of the U.S. landmass, 440 is as dead
> as a doornail (highly underutlized) most of the time?

you've had 2 m to that in the Boston area.  Or as I could never strep a
contact on 440, I could stir up a contact on 2 m as long as it was
during rush hour.  Otherwise, the two bands were indistinguishable since
my decision to remove 2m/440 from the car.

>> The solution to the WISP problem and the entire wireless broadband access
>> is
>> the governments failing to provided a large protected frequency band for
>> such purpose...that is IF they do mean for WISP activity to be a primary
>> distributor of broadband Internet access.
>
> The undisputed RF device that changed the late 20th century as well as
> provided a undisputed tool for Ecom's, was the cell phone. Cell phone
> companies provide a service at a cost to the consumer. Yet they paid
> billions of dollars for these protected frequency.
>
> Tell me why the goverment should provide welfare to the WISP industry?

well, there is a significant amount of corporate welfare which has been
well documented in many newsmagazines and newspapers.  It takes the form
of tax write-offs specifically targeted at a company to outright grants
of cash.  why not wisp?

one could also argue that the cell phone companies overpaid for the
spectrum.  After all auctions represent the triumph of the person with a
worse judgment and the most money.  When the European 3g auctions went
through, the organizations that purchased the spectrum rights lost
significant share value.  And they lost value because it was generally
recognize that the auction winner would never pay off that debt without
many years of very expensive services.

desperately trying to bring this back on topic, if wireless ISPs want
some sort of special treatment, they should get together, plan and build
out a shared access wireless infrastructure.  once they have
demonstrated they can cooperate, build a communal managed and funded
wireless infrastructure with nondiscriminatory access, then they deserve
special treatment.  Otherwise if they can't manage their house in the
part 15 spectrum, why would they deserve special spectrum allocations