[Ham-80211] Re: High power 2.4 GHz rules change

Marlon K. Schafer (509) 982-2181 ooe at odessaoffice.com
Thu May 18 17:03:47 UTC 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: <jeff at aerodata.net>
<ham-80211 at lists.tapr.org>
Sent: Thursday, May 18, 2006 8:36 AM
Subject: RE: [Ham-80211] Re: High power 2.4 GHz rules change

>> You have amateur radio using 420-450 MHz in the most populated areas of
>> the U.S.
>
> Ahh.. careful use of words. "Populated areas". Does this mean you disagree
> with my statement that over the bulk of the U.S. landmass, 440 is as dead
> as a doornail (highly underutlized) most of the time?
>

>> FYI amateur radio IS really a secondary user in the 420-450 MHz band as
>> the military can and does use it.
>
> That can be said about just about anything. If the military wants it, the
> military will take it. Do you commonly have problems with the Military on
> 440?
>

>> The solution to the WISP problem and the entire wireless broadband access
>> is
>> the governments failing to provided a large protected frequency band for
>> such purpose...that is IF they do mean for WISP activity to be a primary
>> distributor of broadband Internet access.
>
> The undisputed RF device that changed the late 20th century as well as
> provided a undisputed tool for Ecom's, was the cell phone. Cell phone
> companies provide a service at a cost to the consumer. Yet they paid
> billions of dollars for these protected frequency.
>
> Tell me why the goverment should provide welfare to the WISP industry?

And what did the hams pay for their bands?  TV?  Radio?  Sheesh.

I don't remember the exact numbers, but I'm not far off.  I got the info a
few years ago so I'm sure things have changed a little bit.

If you count usage in bits per second rather than time online there's a
calculation that can be done to compare what WISPs make per bit delivered
vs. cell phone companies.  As I recall, the wisps get something like $.25
per megabit of data.  The cell phone companies, using the same measurement,
get something like $20!

In most places people still pay more, far more, for their cell phones than
they do for their broadband.  And they spend more time at the computer than
they do on the phone.

Oh yeah, don't forget that the cell phone guys also get usf funds!

I'd be happy to buy spectrum.  The deposit to bid on auction 66 is only
$1000 less than I paid for my first house!  I can put in a lot of gear for
that price.  And people won't pay any more for licensed service than they
will for unlicensed out here.  If I could get people to kick loose with $60
to $100 per month for my internet like they will for their cell phones I
could *maybe* justify buying some spectrum!

Look at the financial health of most of the companies that own spectrum too.
I think a pretty good argument can be made that the spectrum auction idea is
largely responsible for the near collaps of the telecom industry.