[Ham-80211] Re: High power 2.4 GHz rules change

Jeff King jeff at aerodata.net
Thu May 18 17:32:36 UTC 2006

On Thu, 18 May 2006 10:03:47 -0700, Marlon K. Schafer \(509\) 982-2181 wrote:

>>Tell me why the goverment should provide welfare to the WISP
>>industry?
>
>And what did the hams pay for their bands?  TV?  Radio?  Sheesh.

-0-. Both of them provide to the public good at no charge to the public. WISP's don't, unless of course your saying WISP provide their service for free.

You want to make money Marlon, you got to spend money. The Part 15 bands where created for a specific purpose, and WISP's were not even considered then. I think it is wonderful that the WISP's have put it to so much good use, and support both the expansion of the Part 15 bands as well as your white space proposal. Yet if you want protected spectrum, someone is going to have to pay for that.

>I'd be happy to buy spectrum.  The deposit to bid on auction 66 is
>only $1000 less than I paid for my first house!  I can put in a lot
>of gear for that price.  And people won't pay any more for licensed
>service than they will for unlicensed out here.  If I could get
>people to kick loose with $60 to $100 per month for my internet like
>they will for their cell phones I could *maybe* justify buying some
>spectrum!

Yet other companies are making a profit (or at least staying in business) providing internet broadband on protected spectrum they paid for.

>Look at the financial health of most of the companies that own
>spectrum too. I think a pretty good argument can be made that the
>spectrum auction idea is largely responsible for the near collaps of
>the telecom industry.

Sure, no doubt they overpaid. But big difference between paying too much and paying nothing. You get what you pay for and if you want free spectrum, you have to take what you can get.

-Jeff

p.s. All the CC's you added to this keep bouncing, and I suspect I am only seeing half the conversation. Care to do any cross pollination between the groups?