[Ham-80211] Re: High power 2.4 GHz rules change

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Thu May 18 18:25:42 UTC 2006

Jeff King wrote:

> Next time you are on a transcontential flight, look out the window.
> You'll find most of the landmass of the U.S. doesn't look like
> Boston.

speeko hell.  2m == 440 == unused spectrum.

>> well, there is a significant amount of corporate welfare which has
>>  been well documented in many newsmagazines and newspapers.  It
>> takes the form of tax write-offs specifically targeted at a company
>>  to outright grants of cash.  why not wisp?
>
> Your basis is others are doing it, so why not WISP's? Two wrongs
> don't make a right. Just as amateurs and broadcasters have to
> demostrate that they serve the public good for their "welfare", the
> WISP's should also. Oh, and did I mention, WISP are for profit?

no, I was not suggesting because one does, the other should but to point
out that it wouldn't be inconsistent with government policy to subsidize
(i.e. corporate welfare) wireless ISPs.  And yes, while they are for
profit, so are all the other companies that receive government welfare
handouts.

I think what I'm trying to say is do both or do neither.  In either
case, make it transparent

>> Otherwise if they can't manage their house in the part 15 spectrum,
>>  why would they deserve special spectrum allocations
>
> Bingo.  I knew we could agree on something.

actually Jeff, we agree on many things.  It's just that we come at the
same problem from different angles.  That different angles thang is what
makes it look like a conflict.

---eric