[Ham-80211] OT??? High power 2.4 GHz rules change

Tim Gorman ab0wr at ab0wr.net
Thu May 18 17:06:15 UTC 2006

Contrary to other posts, I can find nothing in any FCC documentation that
shows they approaced the ARRL about dropping the APC requirement. And since
this is a public proceeding, it will cost you little to add your comments to
the proceeding at this time. If you do not comment on it and it becomes
reality *then* you could incur significant legal costs trying to fight the
isse as a seconcdary user of the spectrum.

I an an amateur radio operator with two Linksys wrt54g wireless routers I have
modified the firmware on. I have been looking at purchasing amplifiers to up
their output to establish an omni-directional hubbed network. Amplifiers with
moderate power levels are not that expensive. Dropping the APC requirement
*would* make it easier to implement the current FCC requirements. Meeting
current requirements would require applications to make use of the 802.11h
modules in the modified firmware I am using. It *will* require additional
work over just buying off-the-shelf stuff and using it.

Having said that, I have to tell you I have already posted comments against
the proposal. After thinking about it a lot I came to the conclusion that APC
*is* the technological path to follow to limit spectrum pollution, be it
pollution in the Part 15 or Part 97 arena. Hams are supposed to engineer
their equipment based on sound engineering practice and judgment.
Implementing APC *is* exhibiting sound engineering practice and judgment.
While you can argue that philosophically amateurs will implement APC on their
own without it being in the rules, pragmatically that is not the case. The
ARRL in their proposal admits this by basically saying APC, as formulated by
the FCC, is too hard for amateurs to do. Basically, that is a crock.
Conceptually, it is easy to do in any FHSS system. It is hard to do in a DSSS
system because trying to identify signal strengths of narrow band signals is
difficult in a DSSS system. But I'm sure some DSP processing could handle
this.

Anyway, as you can see there are probably lots of varying views on this
subject. You need to think your position through and put in your comments,
while I think it is past the comment date, I think the FCC will still accept
comments as long as they aren't actively in the process of analyzing them.

tim ab0wr