[Ham-80211] Re: High power 2.4 GHz rules change

DuBose Walt Civ AETC CONS/LGCA Walt.DuBose at RANDOLPH.AF.MIL
Fri May 19 15:59:35 UTC 2006

See my answers below... Walt/K5YFW

-----Original Message-----
From: ham-80211-bounces at lists.tapr.org
[mailto:ham-80211-bounces at lists.tapr.org]On Behalf Of jeff at aerodata.net
Sent: Thursday, May 18, 2006 10:36 AM
To: TAPR Mailing List for Ham Radio Use of 802.11
Subject: RE: [Ham-80211] Re: High power 2.4 GHz rules change

> You have amateur radio using 420-450 MHz in the most populated areas of
> the U.S.

Ahh.. careful use of words. "Populated areas". Does this mean you disagree
with my statement that over the bulk of the U.S. landmass, 440 is as dead
as a doornail (highly underutlized) most of the time?

	Generally speaking the more dense the population the greater the
	"requirement" for communications.

	I don't disagree with you statement, it simple not relevant to the
	discussion of allowing multiple usage of the 420-450 band or any
	band.

	If a WISP wants to put in a system on 420-450 in a valley in Big
Bend Nat. Park
	in one of the uninhabited valleys, go for it.   No one will care.
However, if
	they want to do this in El Paso, you will hear screams from both
sides of the 	boarder.

> FYI amateur radio IS really a secondary user in the 420-450 MHz band as
> the military can and does use it.

That can be said about just about anything. If the military wants it, the
military will take it. Do you commonly have problems with the Military on
440?

	It IS NOT TRUE that if the military wants a certain frequency they
can have
	it.  I know of several cases where the Navy and Army really wanted
certain 	frequencies and were flatly told that they could not
have/use them for any
	reason.

	Yes, we have problems with military encroachment on 420-450 in
Texas, the 	Southwest and Northwest.

> The solution to the WISP problem and the entire wireless broadband access
> is
> the governments failing to provided a large protected frequency band for
> such purpose...that is IF they do mean for WISP activity to be a primary
> distributor of broadband Internet access.

The undisputed RF device that changed the late 20th century as well as
provided a undisputed tool for Ecom's, was the cell phone. Cell phone
companies provide a service at a cost to the consumer. Yet they paid
billions of dollars for these protected frequency.

Tell me why the goverment should provide welfare to the WISP industry?

	For the reason previously stated...because it is of great benefit to
	citizens.  Also, the Executive Branch and Congress agree that there
is
	a need for wireless broadband Internet access in the U.S. and have
set
	this as a policy statement and have drafted and in some cases passed
	legislation to that end.

	To complete this policy, IMHO, WISPs must have their own band(s) for
	operation that is NOT shared by another (other) service(s).