[Ham-80211] OT??? High power 2.4 GHz rules change

Jeff King jeff at aerodata.net
Fri May 19 16:45:28 UTC 2006

On Fri, 19 May 2006 11:12:43 -0500, DuBose Walt Civ AETC CONS/LGCA wrote:

>2) DSSS (802.11b) and OFDM (802.11g) do not fit the FCC diffinition
>of spread spectrum.

Actually 802.11b DSSS does meet the definiation. It was when 802.11g OFDM came out they had to rewrite the part 15 rules as it wasn't considered spread spectrum. And ATV, which what it appears the WISP's are most afraid of, was never constrained by the APC rules.

>3) Accomplishing APC on DSSS and OFDM types of modulation using the
>method of APC that the FCC has defined in Part 97 is a "Practical
>Impossibility" (a legal term) and I can assure you that no
>knowledgable federal attorney is going to get the government
>involved in Practical Impossibility litigation.  There is too much
>case law at stake if they lose and judges almost always rule against
>practical impossibility.

True, but I'm reluctant to argue this point. One of the basis and purpose of amateur radio is experimentation, and to promote this we need as few rules as possible. It also is informative to look back at why APC was implemented... it was to protect the vested VHF/UHF weak signal DX'ers (look at the reply comments). The "threat" of spread spectrum never materialized so the ARRL wants to discontinue an unneeded rule.