[Ham-80211] Re: High power 2.4 GHz rules change

Steve kb9mwr at yahoo.com
Sat May 20 07:22:03 UTC 2006

I'm totally in favor of this.  It helps promote experimentation in the
amateur service.  I saw and still see the APC rule an obstacle for
experimenters. Reminds me of the rules problems that we (gbppr) ran into a
few years back with homebrew amps.

A good point that anything other than ham SS is not subject to this APC rule
anyway.  Reminds me of the ATV repeater story a few years back
http://www.arrl.org/arrlletter/01/0216/, that first got my attention.  The
truth is a Part 15 remote wireless camera system can pose the same problem
for anyone trying to do wireless networking on shared bandspace.  I know
this because at an adjacent school I ran into this problem.

As for the guys trying to make a business off this.  My advise is:
Assuming you can't collectively pull off buying a chunk of the spectrum.
Each WISP can buy their own Part 90? channel.  There is wireless gear that
can operate on other frequencies.  Such as 2.3, 2.5, 3.3 GHz.  I remember
discussing this here.  File/pay for your own corresponding Private Land
Mobile Radio channel.  Deploy your stuff in your defined area and you should
be the only one on that channel and have less headaches and restrictions.
I'm sure there is more to it, such as the certification of that gear... but
that's the general idea.  Apply just like if you were a taxi cab outfit and
needed a channel for your taxi cab voice communications.  What you are doing
right now equates in my mind the same as these local business who use FRS
for communications and complain about interference.

Using Part 15 Wireless Devices For Amateur Radio:
http://www.qsl.net/kb9mwr/projects/wireless/plan.html