[Ham-80211] WRT54GL AP?

Drew Baxter droobie at maine.rr.com
Sat May 20 18:35:13 UTC 2006

I've had pretty good results with the Buffalo units from Best Buy,
namely the G54S.  They're cheaper than the Linksys too and readily
available.  The new incarnations of the G and GS from Linksys use
VXworks and have very limited memory.  They're not particularly
helpful for running Linux.  The GL will run Linux, but costs more or
is harder to locate (usually retail stores don't have them).  I have
to say the Buffalo units seem to be better made, but also their
factory software seems to be well done.

Best of all they're supported by DD-WRT, which is a good Linux
implementation.  Be forewarned that at this time it's impossible to
reflash the unit back to the Buffalo firmware if you flash it to
DD-WRT.  However, no real need to.  At a price of about 50-60 bucks,
it was cheaper than a WRT54GS but had the same memory and
whatnot.  Best Buy carries them as regular inventory, one of the few
places that seems to carry Buffalo locally.

--Droo, K1XVM