[Ham-80211] 2.4 GHz remote broadcast

Steve kb9mwr at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 16 03:26:28 UTC 2007

Monday I noticed that a local TV station was doing a remote broadcast from downtown.  What's interesting about this is that much to my surprise this was done on 2.4 GHz analog.  I could see it with a Wavecom Jr.  So for a few hours the 2.4 band was trashed.  It started with a color test pattern a bit fuzzy as they were apparently aiming the remote van's antenna towards Scrays hill, which I am in the path of.

Pretty nice that the local TV stations use a Part 15 band and ham band! for that I thought...

A quick look at the 2400-2483.5 MHz licenses in WI shows:
KB55142
County: Brown
JOURNAL BROADCAST CORPORATION
Broadcast Callsign: WGBA
EIRP: 60 dBm (1000 watts!)
Transmitter Manufacturer: Microwave Radio Comm.
Transmitter Model: Code Runner

There are other entries, all TV related, that was the only local one I found and this interesting, because their operations are right in the middle of a ham band. Quite surprised and confused to see licenses for
this..  Someone a while back point out there are licenses for stuff on the band... This one isn't government related, so quite frankly I'm confused, as it doesn't quite follow the band allocations?