[Ham-80211] 2.4 GHz remote broadcast

Marlon K. Schafer (509) 982-2181 ooe at odessaoffice.com
Mon Feb 19 16:55:42 UTC 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "kd4e" <kd4e at verizon.net>
To: "Marlon K. Schafer" <ooe at odessaoffice.com>
<ham-80211 at lists.tapr.org>
Sent: Sunday, February 18, 2007 10:31 AM
Subject: Re: [Ham-80211] 2.4 GHz remote broadcast

>> I've all but completely abandoned channel 6.  So 22 mhz of spectrum
>> centered on 2441 or so are gone for all practical purposes.  Around 50%
>> of my installs for the last 6 to 12 months have included a home wireless
>> router.  Out outdoor gear hears the local, or the next door neighbor,
>> system at 20dB or more higher than my own ap's.  So by by channel 6 and
>> most anything around it.
>
> Understood.
>
>> 900mhz decent through trees and buildings.  But the 4 watt power limit
>> still brings it to a dead stop after a couple of houses or a couple of
>> dozen trees.  Half mile of dense trees I think is about all a data system
>> will really work well for.  Naturally, the trees make all of the
>> difference.....
>
> Are all forms of Ham communications on 900MHz
> limited to 4W or only high-speed data/video?

I'm not a ham.  I don't know.....

>> 2.4 can go through most walls in your house, but not the wire mesh or an
>> in ceiling heating system.  Plaster and lath will also hurt distances in
>> the home.  Low E windows are a brick wall for it, you're often better to
>> shoot through a wall than a window.
>
> Hmmmm.
>
> Sounds like 70CM is more versatile.

Almost everything is more versital that what I get to use!

>> 5 gig, gotta see it to do it.
>
> Line-of-site, like light?

basically, yes.  Again, there are radios out there that can take the glare
from the lights as it reflects around a corner and use it to do the
equivalent of reading your license plate.  But they are very spendy yet.

As a rule, we can do many amazing things as long as we remember to keep the
path clear.

>> 5.2 and the new 5.4 ghz bands will be hard to use in long distance shots
>> due to the hard eirp limit of 1 watt.
>
> Are all forms of Ham communications on 5.2 & 5.4
> limited to 1W eirp or only high-speed data/video?

I must, again, claim ignorance.

>> that help at all?  marlon
>
> Every shred of data and informed perspective is
> valuable for planning a future strategy!

Grin.  I hear that!