[Ham-80211] Re: Ubiquiti Networks

David Josephson dlj at bach.altaphon.com
Fri Jul 6 05:22:46 UTC 2007

Steve Lampereur wrote:
> Depends on who "they" is, I'd imagine.  Ubiquiti is
> obviously marketing
> some of their products (2.5-2.7 GHz & 2.7-2.9 GHz
> products ) for licensed
> users.  There is a small 3 GHz license free allocation
> in some countries, and last I check it was a proposal
> in the US.
>
> So who are the users of their 2.5-2.7 GHz & 2.7-2.9
> GHz products ?  I can
> guess but thats about it.
There are many licensed allocations in the 2-3 GHz band. Most are
"repurposed" point-to-point microwave, educational TV and LMDS/MMDS
allocations. The wireless carriers have been aggressive in acquiring as
much of this spectrum as they can, and running various wireless internet
services on this band, often at a loss, and then folding them into new
cell phone offerings. Tracking these licenses down in the FCC database
is tricky because in many cases only the original license is shown --
Bozo Community College District might show up for instance, but no way
to know that they leased the spectrum to Nextel. Many of the new
licenses are based on regional allocations and individual transmitter
sites aren't even in the database.

--
David WA6NMF