[Ham-80211] WAP54 bridge trouble

Marlon K. Schafer ooe at odessaoffice.com
Tue Jun 5 20:39:51 UTC 2007

One of the problems with using the consumer grade gear is that it gives
crappy signal level indications.

For a wifi signal to work in b mode you normally only need about -80 to -85
dB.  G mode will be closer to -65 to -70.

.5 miles with 24 dB grids is a LOT of power.  It's very likely you are
picking up interference, multipath etc.

Here are a couple of tests to try.  Cross polarize your antennas.  See what
happens.

Point one or both antennas 180* away from the other end of the link.

If any of these tests helps, you likely have too much power.  WiFi is touchy
that way sometimes.
marlon