[Ham-80211] RE: ham-80211 Digest, Vol 29, Issue 1

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Thu Jun 7 00:40:23 UTC 2007

ussailis at shaysnet.com wrote:
> There are two other things that can be important:
>
> 1. DECREASING bandwidth will provide as much gain as increasing power.
> Reducing bandwidth by one-half provides 3 dB gain, the same as doubling
> power. Go down to 1 mbps if you are not there.
>
> 2. Tree leaves are a horrid multipatrh generator. Some folks say that tree
> leaves attenuate. Actually, the mode is multipath reflection. This provides
> bith attenuation and phase changes. Not good.

how does dropping frequency affect trees and multipath?  for example, if we used
all of 2 m, 220, and 440 for spread spectrum/data bandwidth, could we build an
infrastructure that replaces and surpasses the capabilities provided by classic
narrowband repeaters?

---eric

--
Speech-recognition in use.  It makes mistakes, I correct some.