[Ham-80211] Rw: 23cm transverters for 802.11>

Bob Keyes bob at sinister.com
Sun Oct 7 08:49:43 UTC 2007

On Sat, 6 Oct 2007, Steve wrote:

> As for making a transverter, take a look at this:
>
> http://www.qsl.net/n9zia/trans/index.html
>
> What we've found is the tricky part is the switching times.  Which is why a
> lot of our work revolved around FHSS equipment.  It's just easier to work
> with.

mmm yes but HFSS 802.11 equipment's pretty much fallen by the wayside.

> Teletronics does list a 2.4 GHz to 1.2 GHz transverter on their site.  But
> I'm sure the price is ridicilous.

I am sure it is.

seeing the GBPPR site reminds me of a sister site from a while back,
guerrilla.net. I know that Mr. Brian Oblivion from that site moved to
Pennsylvania and was doing work on making transverters for 802.11 for
military applications. But I've lost contact with him.

I wonder if some of our switching issues could be mitigated by selecting a
long preamble. Just an off-the-cuff, half-assed thought.

Or, maybe two radios for full duplex operation, getting rid of switching
altogether.

I have some SR9s at work. I am going to pop the can lid off of it and see
what they've got inside for transverter components.