[Ham-80211] Activity - comments and idea

Naber, Benjamin L. SPC benjamin.naber at 3BCT3ID.ARMY.MIL
Tue Jan 29 19:13:05 UTC 2008

Sleepy? Wow.

That's a real bummer. I'll have to crack my knuckles and figure out how to get the ball rolling again like I did for my club that was about as dead as the old folks walking in. Rough thing to say, but that's the way it was.

For one reason or another, a lot of folks were sitting in front of the TV instead of the radio or work bench, and even though this is only my second post, the idiot box is the main problem. I don't know what it is now because I joined the Army and now deployed to the stinky country of Iraq. If you spend more time in front of the TV than you do the work bench, I think you may want to disassemble the problem, or reallocate the asset for something useful.

I've been working on a project, just a draft right now, but will be manifesting into the real deal in a little while. I would like to know everyone experiences with different multi-level modulations like QPSK, 8-PSK and the others that are being used. I like the QPSK or 8-PSK as that is what we use for our satellite internet.

What I'm working on is a TCP/IP setup that will have the functionality of a wireless router, but will have the functions amateurs like to see, and also be open source Linux so we can attract more computer people in here. Seeing how this a group with people who are computer oriented, there shouldn't be anyone griping "this is ham radio!" If you are one of them, then pay no mind as I pass you by.

If you are familiar with DD-WRT, it may have that setup as I like using that on my linksys and Motorola WRTs.

the main thing I like about this idea is that it will NOT require drivers on a computer to work so an old Toshiba Satellite 75MHz Laptop with an PCMCIA Ethernet port and TCP/IP support with Win3.1 will work.

~Benjamin, KB9LFZ