[Ham-80211] Current events

Naber, Benjamin benjamin.naber at 3BCT3ID.ARMY.MIL
Thu Apr 1 12:38:28 UTC 2010

Yes, it has been a while for most of us. I forgot as well that I am a member of this mailing list.

So what is everyone currently doing (be honest), and what would you like to be doing?

I'm back in Iraq, again, dammit!, but here playing with Ubuntu Linux Desktop and Server editions. I just learned that amateur radio operators have access to IP space that was designated just for us. Network 44. All 16+ million address are ours to use. Presently they are not routable over the Internet, they are accessible via VPN through a router which is updated by email. Learn more here: http://www.ampr.org

Along with the servers, I'm learning about and have plans to mess around with OLSR that is meant for mobile applications. I'm in the process of building coax collinear antennas. Built a four-section, 3dBi gain antenna for 460MHz, yesterday. I've used RG-58 and RG-8 and soon I will have some UT-141 to play with. Need to obtain a way to measure SWR and field strength for 2.4GHz. They first few I built worked very well and learned the vertical beamwidth is very narrow, on the order of 10 degrees. Kinda funny because the 11 section antenna had 10dBi gain. And that is what I measured using the wireless routers RSSI meter. I used a sheet metal, 90 degree corner reflector and got 9dB additional gain.

It's a real bummer that packet is in dire need of more users, so on my back burner is a method to incorporate that into text and email messaging over TCP/IP networks.

I still have my other plans for stuff, however, taking care of the family comes before spending money on toys for experimentation. BUT, that is not to say that I will use that as an excuse NOT to do anything at all, ah hem, like most of you out there. Myself included.

So, let's hear what you are doing.

~Benjamin, KB9LFZ