[Ham-80211] ham-80211 Digest, Vol 37, Issue 3

Jim Tarvid tarvid at ls.net
Sat Apr 3 11:29:38 UTC 2010

On Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 3:39 AM, Steve <kb9mwr at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Just this week I have been improving my microwave Fresnel zones by taking
> down some old elm trees in my yard :-)  Taking down three foot diameter
> trees is more work than putting up a tower so I don't recommend planting
> anything other than aluminum trees.
>
> I finally started messing with a pair of Ubiquiti XR-9 cards.

Looking for NLOS feedback on 33cm. I am guessing that "ad hoc" and PtP will
do better than PtMP and "ap" mode. I had a 15km LOS link on 13cm fail due to
the AP timing.

> I'm still always cooking up things with Asterisk.  Google voice and
> pygoogle can be a hams gateway to the public telephone network.
>
> I've still got my hopes to see a SIP to D-Star translation further
> developed.
>
> I saw the FCC proposal to eliminate the automatic power control on spread
> spectrum a few weeks ago and can't help but think we need to be
> experimenting with SS on 70cm.

Still relatively expensive. I see some up/down converters that might be
retrofitted.

>  This could be beneficial for those affected by pave paws... to bad the
> band plans are still the hindering factor.

How much trouble can you get into in rural areas with use outside of the
band plan but  inside band?

--
Rev. Jim Tarvid, PCA
Galax, Virginia