[Ham-80211] ham-80211 Digest, Vol 37, Issue 3

Naber, Benjamin benjamin.naber at 3BCT3ID.ARMY.MIL
Sat Apr 3 18:31:20 UTC 2010

What did those UBNT XR-9 cards run you? What are you using to power/control them?

~Benjamin, KB9LFZ

________________________________
From: ham-80211-bounces at tapr.org [mailto:ham-80211-bounces at tapr.org] On Behalf Of Jim Tarvid
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2010 2:30 PM
To: TAPR Mailing List for Ham Radio Use of 802.11
Subject: Re: [Ham-80211] ham-80211 Digest, Vol 37, Issue 3

On Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 3:39 AM, Steve <kb9mwr at yahoo.com<mailto:kb9mwr at yahoo.com>> wrote:
Just this week I have been improving my microwave Fresnel zones by taking down some old elm trees in my yard :-)  Taking down three foot diameter trees is more work than putting up a tower so I don't recommend planting anything other than aluminum trees.

I finally started messing with a pair of Ubiquiti XR-9 cards.
Looking for NLOS feedback on 33cm. I am guessing that "ad hoc" and PtP will do better than PtMP and "ap" mode. I had a 15km LOS link on 13cm fail due to the AP timing.

I'm still always cooking up things with Asterisk.  Google voice and pygoogle can be a hams gateway to the public telephone network.

I've still got my hopes to see a SIP to D-Star translation further developed.

I saw the FCC proposal to eliminate the automatic power control on spread spectrum a few weeks ago and can't help but think we need to be experimenting with SS on 70cm.
Still relatively expensive. I see some up/down converters that might be retrofitted.

 This could be beneficial for those affected by pave paws... to bad the band plans are still the hindering factor.
How much trouble can you get into in rural areas with use outside of the band plan but  inside band?

--
Rev. Jim Tarvid, PCA
Galax, Virginia