[Ham-80211] ham 802.11 and mainstream ham magazines

Steve L kb9mwr at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 02:01:49 UTC 2010

It has been over a year since I have read anything on HSMM in any
magazines.  I am slightly disappointed by this.

And when I read the recent ARRL Homebrew Challenge I said to myself,
why encourage something that has already been done?

While I have high hopes for a couple new ARRL staff, and the future if
ham radio. I am presenting my own challenge.

During an interview, the Beaver Valley ARA revealed that ARRL
President, Kay Craigie, N3KN got licensed in 1983 because she was
jealous of all the fun her husband was having with ham radio. She was
a computer hobbyist at the time and became a ham just when computers
were starting to be integrated with amateur radio.

So it would seem natural to assume her stance on the future of digital
communications is strong.

Brennan Price, N4QX is the new Technical Relations Manager filling the
vacancy created by the retirement of Paul Rinaldo, W4RI.

It was Paul, W4RI's recommendation (back in 2001), to the Board that
the HSMM Working Group be founded.

I don't know much about Brennan, N4QX, other that his stated goal is
to "defend Amateur Radio spectrum. So it would seem that encouraging
microwave/HSMM use would be logical.

I fell strongly about the ARRL Technology Task Force. I hope he can
fill the shoes as well as Paul did.

My challenge is to get more hams to submit articles to QST, QEX, and
CQ magazines.

My homebrew challenge would be to document a bi-directional amplifier
in QEX magazine. Since there are more non-overlapping channels on the
5 GHz and 900 MHz band I would encourage it to be for either of those
bands, or 3 GHz.

Contact me if you are up to that challenge, as I am offering a small
bounty ($40). I also have other gifts for anyone else who steps
forward to write anything else interesting. If you write, and don't
tell me, I'll likely be getting a hold of you to thank you.

Here is a recent article I stumbled into detailing construction and
theory on a switchless bidirectional amplifier for 2.4 GHz using
circulators.

http://www.qsl.net/kb9mwr/projects/wireless/Switchless_Bidirectional_Amplifier_For_Wireless_Communication_Systems.pdf

Steve, KB9MWR