[Ham-80211] ham 802.11 and mainstream ham magazines

Hare, Ed W1RFI w1rfi at arrl.org
Mon Oct 11 13:13:28 UTC 2010

Hi, Steve,

I think the the shortage of articles about HSMM in mainstream Amateur publications has generally been the shortage of articles submitted to those publication.  I am more active on HF and narrowband modes than anywhere, as a QRP operator. The advice I give to the QRPers is that if they have an article intended for QRPers, they should seek to get it published in many of the fine QRP publications, but if they have an article intended to help people who are not currently QRPers understand what it is and how much fun it can be, they should submit that to QST and CQ.

In the case of QST, that can have a side benefit of having it available for all time, in the QST archive for ARRL members, but also as a link from the appropriate technology web page on the arrl.org site.

The general layout of the arrl.org technology pages is to first have a paragraph or 3 as an overview of the subject, then a link to ARRL and other articles, chosen to be the definitive articles on the subject and then links to other sites.   Those article links are a mix of members-only and public links, with some articles copied (by me) from the ARRL archive to the public area of the site.  I try to ensure that the definitive tutorial on a particular subject is public. In general, I try to put articles intended to help beginners get started on the public page, as well as those that are "for the good of the service."  In the latter vein, all of the RFI, safety and related articles are public.

I am sure that most HQ staff will note that the ARRL web site is still a work in progress.  (It is clearly a different design paradigm than the old).  But one good benefit of the new site is that we can make better use of volunteers to directly maintain pages. The QRP page is maintained by the same fellow that maintains the qrparci.org website, for example.  I am slowly adding to the volunteers list, carefully, as we need to ensure that the overall tone of the arrl.org site is consistent, and consistent with ARRL's policies. (If we had a page on 10-meter operation, we'd not like to see an outside author advocating freebanding, for example.)

There is certainly an overall policy that encouraging experimentation and development of new and improved digital technologies is a Good Thing.  However, out of site is out of mind, so I always encourage hams to make their views known about what ARRL can to in this area known to their ARRL Division Director (http://www.arrl.org/divisions).  The Directors set ARRL policy, not manage the staff directly, but ensuring that the Directors (who may have other interests in Amateur Radio than digital) to help keep some part of ARRL focused on this is important.  I'd suggest you cc Brennan (n4qx at arrl.org).

In that light, I note that ARRL's pages on digital operation can always use updating.  Those who would like to offer some guidance and suggestions on improvements can contact me and I will see what we can do.  Here are the most applicable pages:

http://www.arrl.org/web-wi-fi-wireless-and-pc-technology
http://www.arrl.org/internet-ham-radio
http://www.arrl.org/high-speed-digital-topics

And to bring this full circle, if you want to see articles in magazines, this people on this list are the group that can write and submit those articles.  I have seen some great presentations on various HSMM topics at various hamfests and conventions, yet I haven't seen those submitted to QST, to my knowledge.  And there is one critical part of this:  Ensure that all aspects of the article are promoting practices that are in full compliance with the current FCC rules.  There is a wide range of opinion on the need for encryption in some Amateur communicatins, for example, but the present rules do not permit the use of codes and ciphers intended to obscure meaning and content. (I'll share my views in another thread sometime. :-)   ).

73,
Ed Hare, W1RFI
ARRL Laboratory Manager
225 Main St