[Ham-80211] Application idea for high speed amateur networking

Marlon K. Schafer (509-982-2181) ooe at odessaoffice.com
Thu Sep 29 16:02:11 UTC 2011

Hi Dan,

Finally, a question I can help with!!!!  grin

That sounds like a really cool project, love to know a bit more about it
(ie: could we use it for our town's promotion efforts etc.).

Anyway, the FIRST thing you want to do is make sure there are no WISPs
operating up there.  OR worse yet, cell or government types running 2.4ghz.
It sucks to constantly fight interference issues, especially these days when
it's so easy to keep that from happening.

Next, I'd HIGHLY recommend using a more professional grade of hardware.
It's pretty cheap these days.  Your system will be easier to install and
will likely be much more reliable than it will be with the Linksys gear.

Ubiquity has some all in one units that will work nicely for your
application and won't blow anyone's budget.  I'd suggest using something in
the 5ghz band as it's got more than 2x the spectrum available so you'll have
a much easier time with interference issues etc.

The gear that a WISP would normally use will have the antenna and radio all
in one enclosure and you just run cat5 cable to the unit.  The only "down
side" for you is that it won't be possible to have less than 5 to 20 megs of
capacity vs. the 100k you are looking for.  I guess you could install
cameras, feed your house via the local WISP etc. in addition to your primary
goal :-).

have fun, call if you have questions.
marlon
509.988.0260