[Ham-80211] Application idea for high speed amateur networking

Marlon K. Schafer (509-982-2181) ooe at odessaoffice.com
Thu Sep 29 18:21:50 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: "Larry Levesque" <ka1vgm at gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, September 29, 2011 9:49 AM
Subject: Re: [Ham-80211] Application idea for high speed amateur networking

> ---
>> This application would seem to me to be close to broadcasting which
>> is not legal.
>>
>> Also, watch out for the Ubiquity radios....the FCC is starting to
>> target users of those radios and is handing out citations....I know
>> this to be a fact from someone who received a citation.
>>

>> Joe
>
> As with any RF application, be sure you are transmitting on the correct
> frequencies and using the correct power. That includes figuring in for
> any gain antennas.
>
> Most of the Ubiquity violations have been for using an unauthorized
> frequency (around 5.40GHz)that falls into a radar band that most airports
> use.

ALL of them have been.  And I'm pretty sure that they were all warned before
hand as well.

The problem is that they were turning off the DFS (dymanic frequency
selection) mechanism and usually going over the 1 watt eirp limit as well.

And you are correct they were all causing interference to the wind shear
radars at various airports.  I was recently at the FCC and we were talking
about this problem.

In fact, we first started talking with the FCC about this problem a couple
of years ago and I encouraged the fines for those that wouldn't fix the
problem with a phone call first.

laters,
marlon