[Ham-80211] Application idea for high speed amateur networking

kb2jaq at gmail.com kb2jaq at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 22:26:52 UTC 2011

Simple, do a ULS search for radars in the area and don't disable DFS.

 I will also throw in my vote to stick with 5ghz using Ubquiti
NanoStations to bridge from house to hill. If you can park it above
5.825 ghz and below 5.850 ghz you'll have no radar worries because
your still in the unlicensed and Part 97 area but most wifi cards stop
at 5825.
3300 to 3500 would give you similar results but 3300-3400 also has
radar issues...
Ubiquiti radios have a spectrum analyzer mode that is great for
finding garbage where you plan to park your link....

PeteKB2JAQ

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 6:03 PM, Joe S. Borovetz <wa5vms at tapr.org> wrote:
> On 9/29/2011 4:49 PM, Brian Webster wrote:
>
> If I were to do a ham mesh network I would use Ubiquiti cards in a microtik
> box set to the international code which would put them in the ham allocation
> for 3.5 GHz. This would be legal and would keep the network off the same
> spectrum WISP’s are using thus greatly reducing the interference potential
> and/or reducing the ability for the WISP’s to operate their business. Just
> put your call sign in the SSID operate in the 802.11 spec and not any
> proprietary protocol, everything should be legal.
>
> This was the type of operation that was getting folks in trouble.

Peter Barletto
KB2JAQ