[Ham-80211] Providing Long-range Wifi

Robert Dixon w8erdbob at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 15:23:05 UTC 2012

I am working with our local EMA to be able to provide wifi internet access at disaster scenes and special events in our county.  I have read articles where people have achieved long distances over line of sight paths. But in our case, line of sight may not always be possible, due to rolling terrain, trees, buildings etc.  I have a 29 db gain dish on my tower at 90 feet. The idea is to aim it at the required location, and use a portable gain antenna at the other end (maybe 24 db at 40 feet) for a point-to-point link, and then relaunch wifi locally for on-the scene laptops etc.  We plan to experiment with this as soon as we have the necessary equipment on hand.

The thought is to use wifi channel 1 or 2, as that is where hams are priority users in the frequency allocations.  We would like to use as much power as possible, but the cost of commercial units may limit that to a watt or so.  25 miles would be adequate.

Also wondering how hams typically send their callsign ID for wifi applications.

Suggestions and comments would be most welcome.

Bob W8ERD
Delaware County, Ohio