[Ham-80211] Providing Long-range Wifi

Brian Webster bwebster at wirelessmapping.com
Mon Aug 27 16:15:03 UTC 2012

If I were you I would plan on using equipment that you can install non-US
firmware to allow operations on channels that are not in use by the public.
While Hams have priority on the lower channels, it will be impossible to
clear those channels from consumer devices and commercial WISP operators in
an emergency situation. One of my recommendations would be to look at 3.65
GHz gear that you can put international firmware in to allow them in to the
ham allocations of the 3.5 GHz band. This would assure you the ability to be
in relatively clean spectrum at any given point and time. Using the typical
unlicensed spectrum you will likely run in to a WISP operator who have many
customers with high gain antennas installed. There is no way they can
remotely shut all of those off and even if they could the backlash from the
customer base for the "government" shutting off their internet will be more
of a PR nightmare than you may want to deal with.

Thank You,
Brian N2KGC