[Ham-80211] Providing Long-range Wifi

Robert Dixon w8erdbob at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 14:43:31 UTC 2012

Jim - Thanks for the reminder about polarization.  I recall from a former life reading that horizontal polarization is better.  I can think of these reasons:

Trees are predominantly vertical structures, hence horizontal penetrates better. Ditto for man made structures like poles etc.
Horizontal propagates better in general? Is that why VHF/UHF work is normally H?
QRM is less, especially if you are in the wifi band.  Even is outside, but adjacent, the splatter should still be less.

I read that the ham wifi band plan calls for circular polarization, but I don't understand why, and it would be more difficult to generate.

Bob W8ERD