[Ham-80211] Providing Long-range Wifi

Marlon K. Schafer (509-982-2181) ooe at odessaoffice.com
Mon Sep 10 14:43:58 UTC 2012

What is the antenna on the other end?

39" antenna is VERY narrow in it's focus.  And it'll have LARGE side lobes.  It's easy to focus in on a side lobe rather than the main lobe.

I also assume (yeah I know) that you are using 5 gig vs. 2.4?

I've done some 2.4 gig wifi using a 24dB grid (2') to a laptop.  Not exactly legal power wise, but you can get nearly a mile and still have good service on the laptop.

As cheap as the radios are no though, it's always best to build repeater stations into the system and use them.  Using a repeater mode will work for a hop or two but at much lower bandwidth if there are more than a couple of end users (think client radio to ap to client radio).

Nowadays I run 5 gig systems to feed my 2.4 gig systems.  Even 5 gig ptmp as the "backbone" of the system will far out perform a same band system anyday.  Especially if you want to run the new n modes that chew up 40mhz+ of spectrum.

Also, trees are bad.  This gear really hates them.

If you are running Mikrotik gear then you'll be much better off if you have one on each end and run nstream.  That mode has changed my life as an ISP!

hope this helps,
marlon