[Ham-80211] Providing Long-range Wifi

Marlon K. Schafer (509-982-2181) ooe at odessaoffice.com
Mon Sep 10 14:52:55 UTC 2012

Another suggestion for emergency use would be to locate your areas WISPs.
We already have exensive networks in place and we typically know most of the
other unlicensed users in the area.  We are also experts in the use of wifi
and can make it do things you'd never know were possible.  We see all of the
weird stuff on a daily basis :-).

When we (the USA) were hit with both the 911 attacks and Katrina the local
WISPs (both of whom I know personally) had a lot of trouble working around
other unlicensed gear that just showed up willy nilly.  If people would have
worked to take advantage of networks that were already on the air there
would have been a lot less interference.

At the very least, all of the users should have worked out paths, power
levels channel plans etc.  Doing so would have maximized all of their
effectiveness.

laters,
marlon