[linux] LinLink

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Wed Aug 4 21:18:33 UTC 2004

dubose at texas.net wrote:

> No arguement with that...it sure might be something we can bite into.
>
> We DO want to make it backward compatible at least in the beginning and then
> grow it...

well. using Internet standards... not sure how much more backward
compatible you can get. ;-)

the transport layer is replaceable.  Compatibility with the rest of the
world is valuable.  the end user audience only cares about getting the
job done with familiar tools.  We're the only people care about radio.

> We do plan to support 802.11 fully and use sendmail/qmail or such and yes POP3
> will certainly be used where we can both from the Internet and via V/UHF and HF
> if we can.
>
> Of course we're not suggesting the use of 1200 baud when so much 9600 and
> higher speeds are available, ie. with some of the Kantronics TNC...I think that
> 19.2 KBPS is really doable to replace 1200 baud.

I see those as overpriced solutions requiring new RF hardware
investment.  every time that happens, you are looking at a $500 to $1000
investment and look at what you get for your money.  A 19.2k raw bit
rate link?  for 9 dollars I got a 11mb raw bit rate link.  and for
another cheap long distance link technique, look at this:

http://www.usbwifi.orcon.net.nz/

Instead of going after the old packet stuff, look at taking something
like mfsk16 and expanding it over a full 3 kHz and see what kind of data
rate you can get out of it.  If you can come up with a new RF deck
design, try taking the same type of technique and spreading it over say
100 kHz.  Don't forget we have VHF spectrum that will let us do that.

I believe we can start approaching usable data rates using ordinary
sound cards.  But unfortunately, I don't have the sound card modem
knowledge to back that up.  Would love to have a conversation with
someone who does.

in the end however, remember that it will be the e-mail infrastructure
that is important not how you get e-mail around.  asking emergency users
to use unfamiliar software to communicate in a time of high stress we'll
cost us credibility points.  If we can drop in a box and RF link and
they can use ordinary laptops with tools like Eudora or Thunderbird to
get their job done, then we win big-time credibility.

we win bigger credibility if they can keep working over the Internet
with minimal interruption when services are restored.

> The LinLink list is on the www.wetnet.org web site...check the left hand frame.
>
> Thanks for the input.

you're welcome and I will check out the site

---eric

--
Speech recognition in use.  It makes mistakes, I correct most