[linux] LinLink

Rob Roschewsk ka2pbt at arrl.net
Thu Aug 5 03:17:02 UTC 2004

I would really like to see a "rebirth" or "transformation" of packet. Some
things I think need to be considered:

- SPEED -
At a minimum needs to be on par with modern dialup access .... at best
comparable with DSL or Cable. Sorry I'm not an RF engineer so I can't lend
much help here but would love to learn.

- IP -
It should be IP based. Lots of folks know how to code for IP and there is
plenty existing stuff out there that can handle it. AX.25 can remain as the
layer 2 frame.

Problem arises with how to route it??? At one point I think we tried
coordinating IP addresses and figured we would route in a particular
direction based on IP ... coordination down to the individual client level
is burdensome at best. Whatever the solution it needs to be dynamic. Maybe
we need a multi tiered DHCP or BOOTP. Coordinate regional IP blocks and let
local routers give out leases for client IPs. If I travel to another
location or even if I'm mobile my client detects it can't hear the last
router and sends out another BOOTP. Once I detect my IP change I send out a
dynamic DNS update so that someone can find me.

RIP could be used at the router level to determine how one router passes
packets along to the next.

So I think reasonable goals are a data rate of 56Kbs for mobile and 1Mbs for
base stations.

Thoughts????

--> Rob