[linux] LinLink

Walt DuBose dubose at texas.net
Fri Aug 20 22:30:16 UTC 2004

Bill Sinbine wrote:

> At 06:14 PM 8/19/2004, you wrote:
> >Chuck,
> >
> >There are a number of differences...one LinLink does not have a basic
> >reliance on the Internet and uses it only if it is available and if it
> >is judged to be appropriate.  LinLink is based on message delivery to
> >stations "registered" to take message traffic for specific USPS Zip
> >Codes.
>
> Walt
> Is this just a pipe dream right now or is something almost ready to be
> released?

Not ready for release that's for sure...we're still in the
pre-design/code writing state...just trying to figure out what exactly
each module needs to do.

Our major problem is to get the HF modems work done first and right now
the programmers involved aren't up to speed on MT63 type modem.  Once we
get the modem, the rest of the applications will come about rather
quickly.

> If not ready, how long down the road do you think it will take to get
> something out for testing?

Hopefully  not more than 6 months for the modem and another 3 for the
messageing system.

> We are really pushing now here in Florida after Charlie hit and opened the
> EYES of people again so we need to strike now while the doors are still off
> the hinges at the EOC's etc.

I am going to the DCC to ask for help...but if you identify the need to
you ARRL division director and ask them to help support the creation of
a system like LinLink, then super.  Our feelings wouldn't be hurt if
someone next week came out with a system meeting the DHS/FEMA/ARRL's
needs.

> Right now Winlink is ready to go and we don't have time to wait for
> something that will be "down the road!!"
> I'm sure that as thing progress that Chuck myself and others here in
> Florida can give you things that we would need for it to work with our FPAC
> network.

If you can get WinLink to work and want to depend on it, go for it...I
just don't see it being something that the general ham community can or
will buy into.  That's why the LinLink group has formed...to fill the
actual need.

Walt/K5YFW