[linux] Linux/Packet Programming Question

Brett Collingwood w6bac at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 23 17:07:45 UTC 2004

Howdy!

I'm glad to see the list up and running again as well as occasional traffic too.

I have a simple programming question.  I've been working on a project using linux where I've been controlling a Kantronics Packet Communicator 3 using a Perl script with a Serial library.  Programatically, the script and serial interface seem to control the TNC well enough using the standard TNC commandset.

The problem I'm having is that I don't want to use the standard TNC commands for this application. It seems to me that I want to use KISS mode.  I'm fully willing to read/write the data stream, handle the acknowledgements, etc. myself as part of the program.

The problem I have is that when I enter KISS mode, the TNC hangs.  I no longer can control the TNC, break out of the connection, etc.  The only way I've discovered to break out of KISS mode is to do a hard reset of the TNC, which isn't acceptable for this application.

I was wondering if there is an API that I haven't discovered yet or worse, there is no way to control the TNC in KISS mode via serial connection.  I could write my program in C if I have to but would rather stay with a Perl/Serial interface for this particular application.

Any advice or pointers with KISS programming would surely be appreciated.

73,

-Brett W6BAC