[linux] Linux/Packet Programming Question

Bob Nielsen nielsen at oz.net
Mon Aug 23 19:41:52 UTC 2004

On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 10:07:45AM -0700, Brett Collingwood wrote:

> The problem I have is that when I enter KISS mode, the TNC hangs.  I
> no longer can control the TNC, break out of the connection, etc.  The
> only way I've discovered to break out of KISS mode is to do a hard
> reset of the TNC, which isn't acceptable for this application.
>
> I was wondering if there is an API that I haven't discovered yet or
> worse, there is no way to control the TNC in KISS mode via serial
> connection.  I could write my program in C if I have to but would
> rather stay with a Perl/Serial interface for this particular
> application.
>
> Any advice or pointers with KISS programming would surely be appreciated.

I am not familiar with Kantronics implementation of KISS, but with the
TAPR firmware, sending a "255" will return the TNC to normal operation.

In Linux, you should be able to do this with the kissparms command
(part of ax25-tools): kissparms -p <port> -x

If that works for you, you could probably do the same thing in Perl as
kissparms does in C.

hth.

73, Bob N7XY