[linux] Linux/Packet Programming Question

J. Lance Cotton joe at lightningflash.net
Mon Aug 23 20:08:41 UTC 2004

Bob Nielsen wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 10:07:45AM -0700, Brett Collingwood wrote:
>>
>>The problem I have is that when I enter KISS mode, the TNC hangs.  I
>>no longer can control the TNC, break out of the connection, etc.  The
>>only way I've discovered to break out of KISS mode is to do a hard
>>reset of the TNC, which isn't acceptable for this application.
 >
> I am not familiar with Kantronics implementation of KISS, but with the
> TAPR firmware, sending a "255" will return the TNC to normal operation.

And if that doesn't work, the Kantronics way is to send the three values:

0xC0 0xFF 0xC0

(that's decimal 240 255 240) to the serial port. The 0xFF value is the "exit
KISS" and the 0xC0's are the "frame end" commands. The first one is to clear
the command buffer and the second is to end the 0xFF command frame.

Perl ought to have no problems echoing 3 bytes to a serial port.

-Lance KJ5O

--
J. Lance Cotton, KJ5O
http://map.findu.com/kj5o-12